Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Top Ten Things Jill Needs to Know About Moana



You asked for it and here it is! The top ten things you (if you are Jill) need to know about Moana, Disney's newest feature in the animated canon. I'm super excited for this movie and think you should be as well - here's why:

10. Polynesian culture



The second film in the canon to explore Polynesian culture (the first being Lilo and Stitch) this film promises to actually introduce viewers like me to something new. From what I can tell this will take place somewhere in the Polynesian Triangle but on a fictional level - combining aspects from several Polynesian subcultures such as Samoan, Hawaiian, Maori, and more!

9. Directors

Oh, I'm totally doing this now! But in chronological order!

This is the seventh film from Disney pedigreed director team Ron Clements and John Musker. Their previous outings gave us films that changed everything. Okay maybe not everything but still, noticeable trending changes.
The Great Mouse Detective - which proved that Disney animation was still viable after the abysmal showing from The Black Cauldron.
The Little Mermaid - Why, hello beginning of the Disney Renaissance and launch of the 'Disney Musical' format that dominated my childhood.
Aladdin, Hercules, Treasure Planet, and, of course, The Princess and the Frog, which launched the current revival! I think we can expect great things from Moana.

8. CGI

This will be a CGI film (a first for the directors though they've dabbled). It was decided to go with CGI because they thought the ocean looked better that way. Personally I'm fine either way - though I would love to see a traditionally animated film come out of Disney occasionally - it has been seven years. I do think that the characters hair looks amazing though! Ariel's wet hair never looked this good.


7. The Rock

It's got The Rock guy in it. Since Jill likes him that's important. I'm indifferent. Dwayne Johnson plays Maui, a demigod that is apparently important in all the Polynesian subcultures. The movie pages all note him as being inspired by Maori legend though, so take from that what you will.

6. Controversy

Yes, the movie hasn't even come out and already there is controversy. Most of the flack seems to center around Maui. The two big one being character design and a costume. Let's address the costume first. I can see how people might be upset at making the costume basically Polynesian skin, but I can also guess that the person in charge of making it probably didn't have any ill intentions - I've seen worse. Still it was pulled so that one is over and done with.

However, upon seeing the character design for Maui the reactions seem to either be, "Heck YES!" or "Excuse me?" I've seen complaints that Maui is perpetuating a stereotype that Polynesian men are obese. Personally I don't think that counts unless most of the men are presented as obese. (I'm aware that that's probably politically incorrect but this is my blog so I get to state my opinion.) I've also read a great piece on character design showing how you can't help but look at this character and see 'strength'. here Also he resembles other recent animated guys meant to be strong.




5. New Voice


The voice for Moana will be provided by Auli'i Cravalho a 15 year old  high school student!  Actually her 16 birthday is the day before the movie is released - which is a pity, cause one day from either direction would make for the bombingnest Sweet Sixteen Party evah! Let's all go to a movie - specifically the one where I'm the newest Disney princess.

4. Last Audition - Last Day


But it almost didn't happen. Auli'i wasn't even going to audition until an agent urged her to. She went on the last day of open auditions and was the last person to be seen. After a few callbacks she was chosen for the role!

3. Heihei the Rooster and Pua the Pig


Because Disney has a long-standing tradition of animal sidekicks Moana, of course, gets hers. Heihei (which I'm pronouncing HeyHeeeey until told differently) is a rooster that might be the dumbest Disney character ever - according to Ron Clements. Pua the Pig is the other sidekick who... has apparently been scaled back a lot since the original marketing. But he's adorable!

2. Music

This is a musical! YAAAAAY!!!! And what a stellar musical pedigree this movie has. Check out this lineage:
Lin-Manuel Miranda - wrote the current Broadway musical taking the internet by storm Hamilton!
Mark Mancina - Disney vet the arranged songs for The Lion King, Tarzan, and Brother Bear - This is important folks because Lion King is my favorite movie of all time, Tarzan's Strangers Like Me' is the song of my life, and Brother Bear... well I really like it too!
Opetaia Foai - winner of several awards for world music and part of Te Vaka an oceanic music group

I actually was unaware this was a musical until about a month and a half ago. The official trailer doesn't really make it seem like a musical - yet the soundtrack has seven songs on it compared to Frozen's eight (nine if you split Vuelie and Frozen Heart) soooooo....
Of course here's Frozen's official trailer too.

That is maybe the most misleading thing of all time in retrospect...

I might have seen it one or two times before the movie. But I got the soundtrack a month before seeing the movie and had watched In Summer and Let It Go numerous times on youtube. I guess my reaction is different since I wasn't sure what was happening with Frozen but I fully expected Moana to not be a musical.

1. Release Date

The only thing left is to go and see it! It hits theaters November 23, 2016!

4 comments:

  1. Well, Katie, I'm trusting that you are in fact telling me the top 10 things I need to know. Out of respect for your top 10 and how you push me to consider new topics, I will respond to your things I need to know (but likely in separate comments).
    10. Polynesian culture...I've enjoyed what little Polynesian culture I've experienced in my life. I am curious if the nene (the Hawaiian goose), rainbow eucalyptus, Easter Island statues, and fire walking will appear in this feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 9. Directors
    Katie, I like the idea that you think directors are a part of the selection process as to the potential quality of a feature for me. To date, the only time directors have been something I've considered giving much weight to are those fools that have put together a great story and ruined it with a combination of thunderous music or sound effects with dialogue no louder than a weak whisper. I don't like it when the only way I can watch a movie is constantly adjusting the volume on the remote so I can hear what the characters are saying while not going deaf from the music and sound effects. I should learn their names and avoid their movies. Anyway, I'm sorry to say that Ron Clements and John Musker may not be my favorite directors as only The Little Mermaid from their seven would make any top 10 list of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 8. CGI
    Why is it that when I hear/read CGI, I think Jumanji? I did not care for it. So, I looked up a list of 135 CGI movies on IMDB (yes, I typed IDMB first) and I was surprised that I'd seen almost 1/2 of those listed and for the most part loved them. However since you've told me about it, I'm going to be looking at the ocean scenes very carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7. The Rock
    Katie, The Rock! Really? #7? Really? Let's be dreadfully honest...if there is only one thing that I need to know about this feature, that thing is that The Rock is in it. For whatever reason, he appeals to me. On this note, I'm done for the evening, but will give items 6-1 my consideration when I am rested.

    ReplyDelete