Friday, August 9, 2013

Way up North...

Here I am in Barrow.
Way up there...

I should really get some work done but I'm having trouble focusing so it must be time for a brain break! Just thought I would drop you all a line. I'm having a pretty good time. Some of the talks have been a little dry but there were also some interesting, informative ones. We learned how to do a couple of basic Inupiat dances. (Forgive me if I've used the wrong word, I still forget when to use Inupiat and when to use Inupiaq.)

We also learned about the Inupiat Heritage Framework, this is one of the things I am most excited about, integrating the local culture into the 'western' euro-american model of education that schools in the US traditionally use. We have a teacher specifically for language and culture in Kaktovik but I has been putting bits into the classroom, especially in my environmental print. So far I have the alphabet, colors (except orange), and calendar words in both English and Inupiaq so that the preschoolers get used to seeing the words. (Lots of Qs in my room friend, lots of Qs.)

Here is a link to an online dictionary if you are interested.

Another one of our sessions was a tech session to familiarize ourselves with our district computers. I went to a session to learn how to use iMovie, our assignment was to make a short movie about Barrow. It is super corny when I say "hundreds, maybe thousands of miles" I am sure you've all been within the hundreds of miles range (possible exception to my friends in the land down under!). These pictures were all taken by people other than myself. Also the video just kind of cuts out at the end.



School starts Wednesday for K - 12, I do Dial4 testing first to determine the starting place for each of my students. So I am anxious to get back to Kaktovik and finish putting my room together! Everyone else is so much farther along than I am. :( Probably because I have no idea how to set up a preschool room and I am a scatterbrain. And you know what else I'm discovering? I'm having a hard time hunting down Diet Pepsi up here. Regular Pepsi? No problem! Diet Coke? We've got you covered! Diet Pepsi? Oh sorry. Ah well.

Well, I'll post pictures soon but thought you might just like an update!

No comments:

Post a Comment