Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Favorite TV Shows

A new weekly series - premiering on Tuesdays and bringing you the classic Top Ten List for a variety of subjects from the traditional to the off the wall! Sit back and relax as I list for you my...

Top 10 Favorite TV Shows

10. Murder, She Wrote

The first lady of of mystery still reigns supreme. Jessica Fletcher, portrayed by the impeccable Angela Lansbury, is such an icon in the mystery genre that you'd be hard pressed to find a sleuth that doesn't know her. This is a great soft entry into the world of adult television. Still all the excitement of a murder mystery but without the nightmare inducing images found in more modern crime shows. I honed my critical thinking skills trying to solve these mysteries (often in vain) and now find that I can pick up critical details in some newer crime shows. Either the mysteries aren't as complex - or I'm getting better.

9. The West Wing
See... for me this picture is full of questions... from the left:
Why is Sam so isolated? Didn't anyone think to tell Bartlett that that tie was a poor choice?
Did Josh slip a witty insult about Charlie's fashion in just before the picture? 
Did someone knocked something over that C.J. clearly warned them not to?
Is Toby arguing with Thomas Jefferson?
Did Donna just drop some ice down Leo's back?

I totally passed the AP US Gov test three years after taking my government class due to a couple week re-watching this show. Made sure to show its research and include several different aspects of government. One of the first shows I ever watched that wasn't afraid to pull the emotional punches. SPOILER!!!!!!!!! Unless you already know or don't care, just don't bother with the following clip:

This show also chronicles the rise of one of my favorite young actors, one of only two people who will feature in multiple lead roles on this list:
Funny that his early role was the SERIOUS one.

Alright I can't ignore it any more! WHO IS THE GIRL WITH A LOLLIPOP?!?! If it is one of the twins... WHY? She would have been in like... ONE episode!

8. M*A*S*H
One of the best blends of comedy and drama I've ever seen. Of course the drama would come naturally enough, but the comedy was solid gold. I'm in the camp that prefers that later seasons. (Is there such a camp? Somedays it doesn't feel like it. )
<


<

<

I barely bother with seasons 1, 2, and 3 and only marginally care about season 4. Sorry, but the humor in the early seasons... just isn't as funny. When they discovered that the show didn't have to rely on the escapades of womanizing the show got so much better. And frankly Charles and BJ are two of my favorite characters, especially Charles. I love a great Jerk-with-a-heart-of-gold, though in Charles' case that gold is probably invested somewhere.


7. All Creatures Great and Small

My first foray into the grand world of British television and a beautiful drama. Life is full of death and that is well illustrated here, but the presence of death does not preclude joy, far from it - this is one of the most genuinely joyful shows of I've ever seen. I'm also perhaps hasty to bring up death, for treatment is successful more often than not, but unlike the trend of American shows to present doctors as god-like figures capable of long-shot victories week-after-week this show gives a realistically balanced view. (Granted this is veterinary medicine... but still.)
They used real farm animals and filmed some actual field procedures, making this a thoroughly fascinating show that is NOT for the squeamish. The two younger leads quite often end up examining the business end of a cow. (Hint: the business end is opposite the head.)
The characters are hilarious, touching, frustrating, and oh-so-real - in part because this is a sort of bio-series. Based on the autobiographical books by James Herriot (READ THEM) the show is quite faithful, and adds some new material that doesn't detract from the overall feel. I've loved the three mains from the very beginning:
Technically Trickie-Woo is a guest star...

That man on the far right? He is the other actor that will make a reappearance later - though in not so big a way. Also, these gents must go through more laundry than anyone else in the world, showing up to farms for cases in their suits, sometimes they change or strip, but not always.

6. Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers

I think y'all ought to be impressed that there are only two animated programs on this list. Chip and Dale are my favorite Disney characters but you can make it through the original material in an afternoon. This show sets a rather fun tone to a serious subject, crime, but doesn't talk down to the viewers. All the classic elements are here - femme fatales, an arch-nemesis, internal conflict, and plenty of peril.
Admittedly a low point. But it will get stuck in your head.

5. Merlin

As amazing as fantasy is, it can be really hard to get right in television. Merlin started out a little shaky, the first season playing more like a medieval Scooby-Doo. But when it started founding itself in its mythical roots it turned into one the most brilliant shows ever. If you are familiar with the Arthurian legends you know where this is going, but that doesn't lessen the impact of the finale.
My one and only beef with this show. DRAGON. I hate him. I have strong words that can't be uttered on a public forum that show how I feel about him.

4. Avatar: The Last Airbender

Another great fantasy and the other animated program. I discovered this gem long after its original run and was able to power through the three seasons quite quickly. It is one overarching story - which I LOVE. The characters are lovely and have some of the most thorough development found in any show. Especially Prince Zuko. Plus it gives you a great line to make anything sound more dramatic: "But everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked." Try it - it works.

3. Gilligan's Island

No shame. Good, clean fun. Corny, cheap, non-sensical, and brilliant.

2. Psych

The funniest show since the olden days. Of course Psych isn't strictly comedy, it is equally odd couple and crime. Gus and Shawn are perhaps the most perfect duo in  recent television. The rest of the ensemble brings genuine characters together for a fun show that throws us back to the good old-fashioned crime show - gumshoeing takes high precedence over lab procedure and I'm glad for that. Another great note is that you can tell everyone involved was just having fun. Find the behind the scenes footage for proof - but also look at some of the homage episodes. They are among the best (except for that totally creepy penultimate episode). The finale manages to be just about everything it should be, and even though it seemed like the show might lose its footing toward the end it managed to recover for most of the final season. My favorite character is totally Gus, played by the wonderful Dule Hill.
Birthday Cake! What?



Bringing Us to the Winner...

1. Doctor Who

An intro:


I'm a recent comer to the land of Who. Whoville? Can we call it that?
Apparently.

Anyway, I'm so new that I feel a little guilty shooting it to the top. Like I'm betraying the others somehow. I've only seen (almost) all the new run and three classic stories. I'm working on it! 
But if you've followed me for a while or ever talked to me you probably saw this one coming. I mean it takes a special show to get me to dive in so deeply after less than a year (!) to name my cat Sonic Screwdriver. I'm just over two years now in the Whovian brigade and my love is strong as ever as I slowly make my way classicward. Every Doctor brings a little something to the table I've found and I'm quite eager to reach the fifth. I strongly feel that he might be a contender for my favorite incarnation:
I can only imagine that the celery must be a treat for some equine patient.

For now my favorite is totally Matt Smith. He can be totally goofy unlike the other three recent incarnations, but he can also deliver a wicked awesome oratory. I was horribly saddened by his regeneration, but that's life.




There you have it! My (current) top ten favorite TV shows! What are your favorites? What should next week's Top Ten Tuesday be? Let me know!


2 comments:

  1. Katie,
    I find your literature and TV reviews are fascinating. Obviously, we are of different generations and I do like to "bother" you with my outlandish remarks. I wanted you to know that I did give your Top 10 Favorite TV Shows list some serious consideration. Many on your Top 10 are favorites of mine including Murder She Wrote, West Wing, Mash, Gilligan's Island, and Psych, but not necessarily Top 10. Honestly, I didn't recognize a few. Dr. Who, in my opinion, has a cult-like following. People seem to love it or have never watched it. I believe that the smallest group of people would be those that have seen it and aren't fans. Much to your consternation, I believe, I haven't seen it and haven't been compelled to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    Here is my Top 10 List of Favorite TV Shows (not in any particular order)
    1. Johnny Quest - the only cartoon of my childhood that I watched religiously.
    2. Little House on the Prairie - bawled ever Wednesday because "It was so good."
    3. West Wing - enjoyed the snappy dialogue and repartee.
    4. Mash - definitely a favorite.
    5. The Cosby Show - I love 1/2 hour comedies.
    6. Knight Rider - I was a Kitt and Hasselhoff fan!
    7. Magnum PI - TOM SELLECK
    8. 3rd Rock From the Sun - laugh out loud funny.
    9. Friends - I like this show and wish they would do a 20 or 30 years later reunion.
    10. ER - love the drama of the early seasons.

    ReplyDelete