Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday

Words. I love love love love love love words. But there are words, words, and WORDS.
You see words are those things you use in normal conversations: push, eat, no, from, the, sun.... on and on, you get it.
Then there are words that are fun and easy to slip into conversations without getting too many raised eyebrows: doldrum, conundrum, cynical, factoid, benevolent, iridescent, and perpendicular.


But then, you have WORDS. Oh, how I adore them. These exist almost solely for the purpose of being obnoxious. So, without further ado, my ten favorite WORDS.



10.
Harbinger

Definition: a person or thing that announces or signals the approach of another

Sentence: Eric is the harbinger of death.

Less Obnoxious: Every time I see Eric, I die.

First Google Image Result:
Of all the pictures I expected... this wasn't even close.

All right, this word is fairly common, especially in the harbinger of death example highlighted above. Or maybe that's just my crowd, since I'm not really seeing it in that capacity on Google, I am seeing a video game (?) called Mass Effect that the above picture must be from. Anyway it isn't a word that's easy to squeeze in to conversation, but it sounds wonderfully ominous. 


9. 
Vexillology

Definition: scientific study of the history, symbolism and usage of flags or, by extension, any interest in flags in general

Sentence: I have a definite interest in vexillology.

Less Obnoxious: I love flags in an intellectual capacity.

First Google Image Result:
And suddenly the harbinger image doesn't seem so weird.

This is the word that launched this list. Apparently people are unfamiliar with the term vexillology and feel that it might be a bit haughty. Well pfffft.

8.
Oology

Definition: a branch of ornithology studying bird eggs, nests and breeding behavior

Sentence: Eric is interested in oology.

Less Obnoxious: Eric is fascinated by crane eggs... and then they die.

First Google Image Result:
So this image is closer to my expectations... but somehow just as creepy. 
You know, calipers would have made another nifty entry on this list.

The reason I love this word rates right up there with my love of the old flag of Libya. Laziness. This is the shortest of all the -ologies. Just stick an extra 'o' on there and you're done. But honestly outside of one episode of Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers I've never seen someone totally focused on eggs.

7. 
Fracas
Definition: a noisy disturbance or quarrel

Sentence: Stop creating such a fracas.

Less Obnoxious: Quiet, you.

First Google Image Result:
So the picture thing was supposed to be serious. But this is quickly becoming ridiculous.

The problem with this word is that during an actual fracas, when you have cause to use it, people will inevitably think you're swearing at them.

6. 
Etymon

Definition: a word or morpheme from which a later word is derived

Sentence: The etymon of etymology is etymon.

Less Obnoxious: Words are often made by other words.

First Google Image Result:
Oh look, etymonart.

There is something super satisfying about the fact that this word - etymon is a word that means... word. Man that's good. Ittttt's the ciiiiiircle of definitioooon!!!


5.
Razzmatazz

Definition: noisy and exciting activity meant to attract attention

Sentence: Eric's fracas was an intentional razzmatazz.

Less Obnoxious: Eric started a fight to get the crane's attention before it laid an egg and died.

First Google Image Result:
The purple isn't surprising but I was expecting sequins...

Does anyone else feel like this word should be associated with jazz music? Double z's are a beautiful gift and this word gives you two.

4.
Canoodle
Definition: kiss and cuddle amorously

Sentence: Do not canoodle with Eric.

Less Obnoxious: Do not engage in PDAs with Eric, unless you like eggs and death.

First Google Image Result:
Awwwww... It only took us six tries to get a picture somewhat along the lines of what I was thinking of.

I must admit, the charm in this word is how old-timey it sounds. But it also sounds like cat fishing. Anywho, I dare you to say it in an appropriate fashion in conversation without feeling totally goofy.

3.
Lollapalooza

Definition: a person or thing that is particularly impressive or attractive

Sentence: Eric the oologist is lollapalooza, I believe I shall invite him to canoodle.

Less Obnoxious: Eric Eggman is quite attractive, I think we should kiss.

First Google Image Result:
Oooh, more etymonart.

I must admit it was that great linguist Tigger that introduced this word to me. I was totally delighted to discover that it is, in fact, a real word - and also a music festival. An impressive music festival I'm sure.

2.
Phantasmagorical

Definition:  having a fantastic or deceptive appearance, as something in a dream or created by the imagination

Sentence: I am the Phantasmagorical One.

Less Obnoxious: I am the Phantasmagorical One.

First Google Image Result:
Another one that actually makes sense. I kinda like this art.

In college I was one of four summer RAs between my junior and senior years. We all had nicknames: the Short One, the Foreign One, the Amazing One, and the Phantasmagorical One - guess which one I was.

1.
Haberdashery

Definition: a men's accessory store; modern usage hat shop (American English)

Sentence: Eric the Oologist owns a haberdashery where you can buy lollapaloozing good hats for canoodling.

Less Obnoxious: Eric the Eggman owns a hat shop with fancy hats of death.

First Google Image Result:
Eric the Oologist in his haberdashery, you may now die. 

Must say that I was quite excited to discover that Christopher Lloyd was a haberdasher at one point in his life.
Although he did give Marty this, so he apparently wasn't the best haberdasher of all time.

There you have it! My top ten favorite WORDS! What are your favorites? This list brought to you by a suggestion of Ann's. What should next week's Top Ten Tuesday be? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. As your resident video game nerd friend (who's played Mass Effect; catch up, Joe!) I can assure you that, yes you are looking at "Harbinger" there. A terrible, fuzzy screen capture of Harbinger. It's the giant robot squid (barely visible behind the LENS FLARE) in the background, firing lasers at you! Because sci-fi game. Anyway, in the context of the story, it is well-monikered, but I'm sorry it ruined your Google Search.

    -Evan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta love some words! I like the sounds of paraphernalia, vigilante, foist, cadre, discombobulated, eclectic, and escapade. I love the color periwinkle in the box of 64 Crayola crayons and it is simply fun to say. Necropsy is one of those words that I like because I learned of it while participating in one...an autopsy on an animal, in my case a dead polar bear. I am adding a word to my list of words that I like based on your number 8, oology = a branch of ornithology studying bird eggs, nests and breeding behavior. I was an oologist for a summer in Barrow studying snowy owls and didn't even know it! I suspect there is more to it than what I was/did, but I was at least an oologist understudy!

    ReplyDelete