Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Top Ten +1.5 Tuesday

Alright last one for a while, I promise. Second to last one, I've already received a special request... I've looked at single animators and entire studio houses, but today I'm going to share with you my favorite moments in animation. Those parts in movies that transcend normal cinema and can match with the highest art. You know, when you watch part of a movie and think, 'I hope those animators got a nice bonus.' These pieces could be carried entirely by the visuals but stirring score often accompanies the best pieces. In order for me to make a more accurate reading I muted all the videos to focus entirely on the animation but I encourage you to view with sound because the composers deserve bonuses on quite a few of these as well.

11. Who Let Escher on the Set? The Chase Scene from The Thief and the Cobbler.

This is sort of tonally different than the rest which is why I included it as a bit of a bonus. About halfway through a movie whose animation has provided very little in the way of distinction we are treated to a chase scene through a palace that is full of things that make your eyes go, "What?" It is a darn impressive piece of animation, which is why I let it in even if it isn't as pretty as the other pieces.

Highlights: 0:48 to about 0:56 is one of my favorite optical illusions of all time



10. Goodness Gracious Great Bush of Fire! The Burning Bush Scene from The Prince of Egypt.

This one loses a bit without the sound but the special effects on the burning bush just really sell this scene for me. I think Prince of Egypt is one of the most beautifully animated films I've seen, and this is a prime example of taking ancient imagery and combining it with new technology to show us something we haven't seen in quite this way before.

Highlights: 2:00 to 2:15 the burning bush is so otherworldly and I love that it looks like fire and yet not like fire.



9. A Ton of Huns. The Mountain Fight Scene from Mulan.

This is really the scene that sparked the list so I find it a bit amusing that it is so far down the list. The only real battle scene in this movie and even then calling it a battle is a bit of a stretch the mountain does most of the work. But everything here works - from the reveal to the facial expressions to the intensity of trying to outrun nature - this scene is truly a work of art.

Highlights: 0:09 to 0:26 - That's a lot of Huns. 0:35 to 0:48 - A LOT of Huns, this bit always gives me goosebumps. 1:27 - They're still not done pouring over that pass. 2:01 to 2:03 Mulan and Shan Yu both have perfect facial expressions here.



8. There's Snow Place Like Home. 'Let It Go' from Frozen.

If I were counting audio accompaniment this probably would have shot up the list. However, it is visuals only here so no song! I still think that they really nailed the look and feel of ice and snow though, much better than most movies and watching the newest addition to the Disney palaces take shape was a 'cool' treat.

Highlights: 2:17 to 2:55 - Watching the palace grow much like real ice crystals is exciting and beautiful. Plus the subtle colors working in and around the ice are lovely.



7. Chalk It Up to Art. The Eye of Crom Scene from The Secret of Kells.

This is a movie that I spent the first five minutes hating the art style... and after that I was hooked! It is refreshingly different for me and captures the look of illuminations quite well. Though the whole movie is full of great scenes the climactic fight with Crom is the one I've chosen. It's fairly stark compared to the other entries on the list, but the message shines through. One of the greatest defenses we have against darkness is art.

Highlights: 0:55 to 1:35 - The fact that this giant beast is defeated with chalk really is interesting. And the simpleness of colors and environments really adds to the overall mood.




6. Up Above the Land Down Under. Flying with Marahute Scene from The Rescuers Down Under.

I love flying scenes, and this was probably one of the earliest that I ever saw. However I did have a fear of eagles for a little while when I was younger and not really aware of their not so impressive size. I mean, if there were any birds this size out and about today, I know I'd think twice for visiting any nature preserves.

Highlights: 1:20 to 1:40 - In that moment we all wanted an awesome eagle to ride... 2:53 to 3:10 - Every stroke of those massive wings looks completely incredible.




5. I Can Show You Mythology. The Romantic Flight Scene from How to Train Your Dragon.

Another flight scene, but this time on an animal I wanted even more than a giant eagle - a dragon. The character animation in this film is superb but the flight scenes are nearly flawless. Between the three major flight scenes - Training Flight, Romantic Flight, Fight Flight - I went with this one because it has a few more interesting pieces.

Highlights: I love most of this, but I extra special love 1:29 to 1:38. I still can't figure out which way is up. It's a cool way to show the flight that breaks the mould.



4. They're Coming Together Beautifully (the Traditional and Computer Animations That Is). 'Beauty and the Beast' from Beauty and the Beast.

I went to the 3D re-release of this movie a few years back and I insisted on 3D for this very scene. As soon as I heard about the 3D treatment I mentioned that the ballroom dance was going to look spectacular. Of course that's primarily because it is stunning no matter what. In my opinion this is the best dance sequence in any film animated or live action. Even more impressive because this scene was one of Disney's first forays into computer animation.

Highlights: 1:00 to 1:41 - I sort of want that dress... and that staircase. 1:55 to 2:51 with special shout-outs to the 2:18 arm swoosh and 2:28 - 2:45 greatest camera tracking of all time... done without an actual camera.



3. Ch-ch-ch-changes. The Transformation scene from Brother Bear.

This is probably the best interpretation of the Northern Lights that I've ever seen on film. I love the animals moving through the light, I also like that the light starts out by looking like water. In my experience the Northern Lights are sort of otherworldly in that way. The beginning of this film is always my favorite because of how gorgeous the art is, after the forced perspective shift it is pretty standard and not quite so interesting but oh well.

Highlights: 0:34 to 2:21 - Basically the entire sequence, but the colors are just so gorgeous that I can't really cut anything out. I especially the way the waterfall explodes into the Northern Lights when poked.



2. Round, Round, Round, It Goes Around. 'Circle of Life' from The Lion King.

This juggernaut of a film opens with some of the finest nature animation I've ever seen. It's probably one of the most iconic film openings and not just for animated films. Who hasn't looked at a brilliant sunrise or sunset at least once and sang that immortal first line? If you haven't your probably twice my age.

Highlights: The Whole Thing. It's really quite gorgeous even without the music, everything before the 1:50 mark seems like it could be a realistic style animated documentary.



1. Take My Money, Make a Sequel, I'm Begging You. Basically the Whole Movie Legend of the Guardians.

Hands down the most beautifully animated movie I've seen. Every screen shot gives you glorious details to pour over. And the whole thing is full of flight scenes (what with them being owls and all). Since I couldn't fill the list with just this movie I've narrowed it down to this scene, which is based off my favorite activity in the book series, so I was pretty excited to see it unfold on the big screen.

Highlights: 0:28 to 0:55 - Just look at that fire, and following that up with a rising moon? Perfect.










And for an extra special treat, what is widely rumored to have been Walt Disney's favorite bit of animation, the transformation of Cinderella's rags into a ball gown:

No comments:

Post a Comment