Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

We find ourselves at the last of the animation (for now) Top Ten Tuesdays! This list was a special request and I'm almost certain I'm going to get a talking to about my choices. Every film worth it's salt has a good protagonist but many films, and animated films in particular, also take care to give us sidekicks to relate to, to learn from, and to laugh at. Animated films seem to enjoy giving the protagonist animal sidekicks. I'm sure this is due to the fact that it brings in the kiddies but often adults find them just as enjoyable. The parameter given to me was that these be animated animal sidekicks, I further added the parameter that they had to be a sidekick to a human character, in movies that are mostly or all animals they are really just a sidekick. That took out a whole swath of some of my favorites-

If you can name all four - you are awesome.



10. Pegasus from Hercules




I'm not sure there are many things in the mythological realm that are an understated cool quite like a pterropus (you're gonna learn today). Dragons, gryphons, cyclops, and the like are way out there, cool but in a 'how-ridiculous-is-that' sort of fashion. Pterropi are just horses with wings on them - sure it may break physics but first it will blow your mind. Pegasus is a fine comic example of a sidekick (plus he doubles as transport). He accompanies Hercules on his heroes journey with all the devotion of a childhood pet, even getting jealous when someone new threatens his relationship.

9. Archimedes from The Sword in the Stone




I love owls and was having a hard time not sneaking more onto this list. But rules are rules and I always follow them. Archimedes is indeed a wise owl, having spent a lot of time with Merlin, but he also possesses the street smarts and common sense it takes to help Arthur train to fulfill his destiny. Plus he was the only witness to the original pulling of the sword from the stone. AND this scene just always makes me laugh...




8. Altivo from The Road to El Dorado



Well, this is the highest up on the list a horse is going to get, so enjoy it. I'm not a big fan of horses acting like... not horses, but whatever. Altivo acts primary like a horse but always displays some extreme emotion to comedic effect, plus he gets some of the best expressions in the film.

7. Featherstone the Flamingo from Gnomeo and Juliet




Alright, this one is not technically an animal. But he is plastic molded into the shape of an animal, so I'm only bending the rules slightly. Featherstone is actually a lot more tragic than most sidekicks. But this is what makes him work so well, his happy-go-lucky attitude is made more potent when you know he is heartsick for the love he lost through no fault of his own.

6. Magic Carpet from Aladdin



 Alright, the rules have been shattered this time but I just don't care. I mean, Carpet's not really an animal - but he definitely isn't human. I love the fact that this character who doesn't speak and doesn't even have a face can be so expressive. Can you imagine the director saying, "And then the Carpet looks sorry." I mean how can a floor covering show that?!?!


Like this, that's how.


5. Sebastian from The Little Mermaid




I always had a favorite character on The Little Mermaid, and it was never the mermaid. Sebastian gets the best lines and the best song. His laid back tone contrasting with his stuffy, uptight personality. He also seems to be more of a royal advisor that writes music on the side instead of his supposed job of being the court composer. Even in the TV show Sebastian was the best. Always ready with some advice that sounds like he is trying to honestly express his feelings instead of simply saying what you want to hear.

4. Iago from Aladdin The TV Series, The Return of Jafar, Aladdin and the King of Thieves




Iago actually started out as the villain's sidekick. That is kind of a twist, seeing a villain's don't usually work with animals or children (feel free to comment all the exceptions I know are out there). He is always with Jafar ready to offer snide comments aplenty. Actually - it's been pointed out that the real villainous scheme in Aladdin was dreamed up by Iago, so bonus points I guess. When he really comes into his own as a character is after his heel-face turn. He is not a good good guy, he's selfish, greedy, egotistical, conniving, and a coward, but he must be loyal otherwise why does he keep hanging around despite professing his displeasure at constantly being put in peril. He's a complex character with an intriguing story arc that happens to be one of my favorites in the Disney canon.

3. Mushu from Mulan




Mushu is hilarious, there's no way around that fact. Plus this sidekick gets a sidekick of his own. Like Iago his initial intentions weren't very heroic at first, and his advice was probably better left unheeded. By the end of the film he'd had a change of heart and was in it for Mulan not himself (maybe a little for himself).

2. Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon



He's adorable. Like a giant cuddly kitty - that flies and breathes fire. I'm pretty sure that that can only be considered an improvement.  Except with Sonic, no fire-breath for Sonic please! Toothless is much more like a pet than anyone on this list outside of Pegasus (I must really dig pets that can fly you around). A mix between a noble steed, a playful kitten, and a war-machine Toothless is pretty hard to top. Except by...


1. Bagheera from The Jungle Book




I love Bagheera. Every single incarnation and it all goes back to the proto-Bagheera in Disney's The Jungle Book. I know that technically Kipling's version came first, but not in my heart. I love, love, love this movie even though it is a loose adaptation Walt Disney literally told them to not read the book. And somehow Bagheera still came out loving, wise, fearsome, and strong. So awesome is Bagheera that the longer I contemplate it the less sidekickish he seems, but you know he supports the protagonist perfectly so I'm sticking with it.


So there they are! My top ten favorite animated animal sidekicks! What do you think? Are you pleased I didn't include that obnoxious donkey from Shrek? Or outraged that I ignored the horse from Tangled? Let me know in the comments below!


Jill

For arguments sake if I had to choose a favorite Disney horse it would be Khan from Mulan
Maximus doesn't even come close to the top ten.


No comments:

Post a Comment